Friday, December 28, 2007

Bike Fit 101

Well, educated myself the last few days with Bike Fitting for both Road Bikes and Tri-Bikes. Seems like you set them up a little differently. What I found most challenging, however, is setting up a Road Bike to be both comfortable and aerodynamic. My road bike geometry is not as upright as a Time Trial (or Tri) geometry. My seat tube angle on my road bike is 73.5 degrees compared to that of a TT bike which is more upright- around 76 degrees. Anyway, having spent some time on the fit..I think I was able to optimize my position that would be comfortable, aerodynamic and mechanically optimized for max power output. Here's a pic of my aero position. Keep in mind, as I said, that this stretched out look/position is NOT because I prefer this to a more forward's just that I can't get there with my current frame geometry. Besides, I herniated my L5-S1 disc in my lower back..and it doesn't seem like I'm going to get any flatter. Guess I'll have to live with the arched/egg-shaped back for now. Oh, my seat is maxed out as high as it's going to go...and forward as case you were wondering. I suppose I could shorten the stem some more (I've already shortened it to 120mm) and drop the handlebars (already have a 2.5-3 inch drop from seat top to handlebar tops) but don't want to go any lower as I will most surely compromise comfort. Afterall, I'll probably be doing group rides and long century rides 90% of the time..and Time Trials the other 10%. If anyone has any suggestions on optimizing what I believe is an already "optimized" fit for me..please let me know. Thanks Rob

No comments: