Friday, December 10, 2010
Why do Cyclists Shave their Legs?
Anyway (Nicole), here are the top 6 reasons why cyclists shave their legs:
1. BETTER AERODYNAMICS- less leg hair, less drag, faster racer.
2. EASE HEALING OF ROAD RASH- when you race bikes, you crash..it's part of the sport. Shaving of the legs makes healing of road rash that much faster. No hair in the wound, and less chance of infection.
3. MAKES MASSAGE MORE PLEASANT- there is no doubt about it..it feels much better to have your quads, hamstrings and calf muscles massaged with no hair on them.
4. MORE ATTRACTIVE- dark tan legs that are cleanly shaven and smooth just look more muscular and lean. That's why bodybuilders do it.
5. TRADITION- cyclists have been doing it for years.
6. PEER PRESSURE- if you line up at a race with hairy legs you are quickly tagged as an inexperienced UNSAFE rider that riders should stay clear of.
The more I think about it...in addition to peer pressure, I probably also shave for vanity reasons. Just this past summer another woman (and friend) asked the SAME question, "Do you shave your legs?" This time, my wife was with me and she answered for me. She said, "yes he does, he does it for cycling". End of discussion. I think the reason why this particular woman didn't delve deeper into questioning is because she was afraid I'd say, "What you jealous that my legs are more attractive than yours and guys will be looking at my legs instead of yours?" Which they were/are more attractive by a long shot..although I hope guys aren't looking at my legs..haha. After all, my wife has commented in the past that there are a lot of women out there that would LOVE to have the smooth toned legs that I have.
So, the next time a woman asks me if I shave my legs I'm going to proudly lift my chin (and pant leg), smile and say, "You're damn right I do..don't they look great? I think they're sexy". haha
Power ON! Coach Rob
Posted by Rob Muller at 6:55 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment